Native Garden Makeover Series - Episode 4: Planting with kids
Welcome to episode four of our Native Garden Makeover Series. In this episode, Mick Davis gets the kids involved in the planting. Gardening is a great way to get kids outside and learning!
Mick’s top tips for getting started with planting your natives:
- Scrape the mulch back to ensure you are planting in the soil.
- Dig a hole that is big enough for the plants, keeping the soil you dig out of the hole to the side for later on.
- Add a native plant fertiliser to the hole and dig it into the soil for the roots to ‘chase’ the fertiliser once planted.
- Place the plants into the hole and then replace some of the soil around the roots of the new plant.
- Push the soil into the roots, nice and firmly.
- Cover back up with mulch, but not too close to the plant as this can cause stems to rot.
- Give your new plants a good drink!
You can browse our full range of native plants online here. We hand deliver in the Perth metro area.
Missed an episode? You can catch up below:
- Episode 1: Choosing native plant varieties
- Episode 2: Summer watering tips
- Episode 3: How to establish a native garden