Native Garden Makeover Series - Episode 9: Kangaroo Paw plant care
Welcome to episode nine of our Native Garden Makeover Series. In this episode, David Lullfitz shares a few varieties of the Kangaroo Paw that we grow and some tips to look after them.
Kangaroo Paws are a favourite Australian native plant for many, but surprisingly they only occur naturally in Western Australia. Here at Nativ, we grow a wide range of shapes, sizes and colours of the Kangaroo Paw.
Some of our favourite varieties include:
This is a very hardy variety and only grows to 30cm.
The next level up grows to 1m high, they generally flower in winter and spring.
This is the traditional straight Kangaroo species that flowers in summer. The flower stems grow up to about 2m high.
Our top tips for maintaining your Kangaroo Paws:
- Remove the flowers at the base when the plant has finished flowering.. This will encourage more flowers or and will tidy up the plant.
- Every couple of years, remove all foliage when it starts to look very untidy. This will result in new foliage and will produce in a much neater looking plant.
For native plants delivered to your door in the Perth metro area, browse our full range of native plants online here.
Missed an episode? You can catch up below:
- Episode 1: Choosing native plant varieties
- Episode 2: Summer watering tips
- Episode 3: How to establish a native garden
- Episode 4: Planting with kids
- Episode 5: Planting in shaded areas
- Episode 6: Planting to attract bees
- Episode 7: Planting to attract native animals
- Episode 8: Soil tips for native gardening